Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
421 - 440 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
One of those colours that just looks like a different car after a good valet (which you invariably do). £875 is a decent return for a Y-reg, but the Roland Garros special is a nice edition. On a long enough timeline, it might increase in value if kept in that condition.
It's already worth more than the average 206 as is. It's about equal in value to a GTi 140. Only the GTi 180 or the Grand Tourisme are worth more. Mind you they're all still a 206 at the end of the day. Mine was horrid to drive even after all the work was done.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
Corsa Number 5
So I've gone and bought a new project car, and it's another Corsa! This time it has a twist! Actually, it has two;
1. It's an automatic
2. It's been modified!
Yes, a modified automatic Corsa. So naturally there's a story, but first some pictures...

So, details. It's a 2003 model with a belt driven (manual models are all chain driven) 1.4 litre petrol, mated to a torque converter. It's got 82,000 miles and some small battle scars. It has 88BHP and apparently is good for 38mpg. Yeah, no.
The story, then. The previous owner was a woman in her 40's. Her husband bought this car for her as a runaround. He's a petrolhead. She isn't. He likes modified cars. She doesn't. He modified it anyway. He did a few. Those wheels, for example, are from an Astra. The tyres are too big so the speedo is slightly wrong. He also tried to debadge the car, and got bored. So, it's actually a Vaux. Then there's the mirrors...

These are Hagus mirrors, found on the SRi model. They're noticeably smaller than standard, and the wife hated them. The husband also fitted some Richbrook door pins. Because I suppose it's the natural progression of modifying to get door pins?

And then there's the elephant in the room; the exhaust.

This was a Christmas present. The wife did not want this or ask for this, and hubby bought this instead of an actual present. I guess we should admire his persistence. But wait! It gets better! He also fitted a straight-pipe midsection! So, only one silencer! She was livid, and has hated this car ever since. Fast forward to today, and the car is now mine, and the husband is now an ex.

The plan is to return this to standard and, depending on whether Katherine likes how it drives, it'll either replace the Clio or be sold for profit.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Comfort spec, going by the demi-lurid door cards. Does the A/C work? Bit of a PITA to hunt down the reason if not but a boon if it does, esp if you decide to sell in the coming months. Selling the Hagus mirrors for decent money and finding std replacements (with patience) for small money is easy enough. I have an unwanted pair but unfortunately they are Star Silver and, more unfortunately, manual. I actually like Richbrook tartups; a pity that I have OCD about griffins in my Opel.

The exhaust thing is a bind and, although I see people list them on ebay with BINs, I don't see many sell. Should be an interesting proj and the GM auto has a good rep which the DP0 doesn't. For that reason, I'd be inclined to go with the Comfort.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
Comfort spec, going by the demi-lurid door cards. Does the A/C work? Bit of a PITA to hunt down the reason if not but a boon if it does, esp if you decide to sell in the coming months. Selling the Hagus mirrors for decent money and finding std replacements (with patience) for small money is easy enough. I have an unwanted pair but unfortunately they are Star Silver and, more unfortunately, manual. I actually like Richbrook tartups; a pity that I have OCD about griffins in my Opel.

The exhaust thing is a bind and, although I see people list them on ebay with BINs, I don't see many sell. Should be an interesting proj and the GM auto has a good rep which the DP0 doesn't. For that reason, I'd be inclined to go with the Comfort.
You have genuine hagus mirrors that are manual? I thought they were all electric. I'd rather have a manual pair. I have no idea if the AC works, currently don't particularly care. The exhaust is far from a bind if you're on the Corsa page on facebook since there's a hundred chavs who want to ruin their 1.2 SXi on there.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
The Corsa Automatic

So, some progress has been made on the Corsa. So far I've only done some cleaning, but the interior has scrubbed up quite well after a simple vacuum clean. I removed the passenger seat to make my life easier...

I then removed the rear seat bench to clean underneath. Surprisingly there wasn't actually much dirt underneath.

I didn't have time to remove the driver's seat, so cleaned it as is. I also cleaned the heel pad and pedals with some APC and a brush.

I have yet to tackle the plastics or the seats, and the carpets could do with a shampoo, but the interior has generally come up very nicely for an hour's work.

Next on the list will be replacing the exhaust, and cleaning the engine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
The Auto

So, I was wrong! Next on the list was the mirrors! As previously mentioned, the previous owner fitted Hagus mirrors from an SRi.

Very smart, but useless. This being an automatic, it's safe to assume the standard mirrors would be preferred. As I had the original mirrors from my dark blue Corsa, I decided to fit them. Removal is easy. I had to pull off the interior trim and undo 3 torx bolts, and disconnect the tweeter speaker and the electric mirror adjustment.

With the mirror off, I had to get a side-by-side photo to show the difference. Size matters, after all.

After a quick clean behind where the mirror sits, I fitted my old standard mirrors. They don't look half bad!

The only issue now is that this car came with electric adjustable mirrors, and the poverty spec mirrors from my Corsa are manual. Finding electric mirrors on eBay works out a little pricey for my liking, so I'll have to find the interior trim pieces which have the manual mirror adjustment (which is the smart way of saying the plastic bits with knobs on).

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
For a long time, I think someone has been listing one for 99p and never getting a bid. When I'm back home in a week, I'll have a good look if you don't find anything realistic. The guy I bought the leather 5dr cards off (that are no use to me) also gave me the mirror trims, but they were for electrics, of course. It's an inelegant solution, but if you want a pair that you can drill holes in I have no need for them and can send them over once I find them.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The base of the sri mirror is rare, at least in Spain it has a flat design, it is not concave where it has the two arms of the mirror, would I like to get the flaps? Additional front fenders, for Spain they are not seen

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, the interior covers for manual mirrors have a "bubble" for the hand-operated sticks surrounding the hole. My unwanted spares are flat, for electric mirrors, but Peps is welcome to have them and drill suitable holes, if desired.

I have found that electric mirrors on ebayUK are about the same price as manual ones but, as he has some manual mirrors in black already available, the cheapest solution is to have some interior plastic that can accommodate them

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
The Auto

So, I jacked the car up and attempted to remove the exhaust, which had welded itself on over time. The midsection had not been clamped to the front section, so I had no leverage to split the backbox from the midsection. In the end, Shaun got the car on his lift and hammered the backbox off while his other mechanic held the midsection in place.

The plan now is to sell the ASBO exhaust which will hopefully pay for its replacement. So, I took it home, broke out the Autosol and tried to make it look a bit nicer...

Autosol is the damn best...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You (and Autosol) polished a lot of money back into that. If it were a straight Combo fit, and my Combo were actually going somewhere in the foreseeable future, I'd be tempted for tarting up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
The Corsa

Turns out I completely forgot to post this from a few months ago, but I had been getting bored of the wheels on my Corsa. I wanted to find some lighter alloys to replace them. I happened upon some BBS 473 alloys from some hateful old Golf at a really good price. They were in dire need of a clean, so that was my first job.

I then got the Corsa booked in with Shaun so I could get the car on the lift and swap the Toyo T1-R tyres from my old wheels to the new ones, as they still had plenty of tread left. The car still looks terrible thanks to the paintwork, but I'm very happy with how these wheels turned out! They're noticeably lighter too, not that you can tell when driving.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, they've scrubbed up well. Are there any little imperfections-but-who'd-notice-from-10yds, or were they really just a bit dirt encrusted and came up pretty much like mint? I only ask out of interest because I'm perfectly happy with 10-yd-looks-good standards these days. I got my Modus out of the dog pound in Malaga and had to touch in some flake-offs as well as get 14 months of filth off it. The shade was a perfect match but you can get in close and see them. I've lost the will to fight Malaga's efforts to keep me off the concours podium.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
The Auto

The Automatic has been given a name. Since the last three digits on the number plate are 'EJF', we've decided to call the car Elf, and recently I changed Elf's wheels. They were from an Astra, and with 205/50/16 tyres, they were far too big for the Corsa's arches(which will make the speedometer inaccurate), so they had to go. Thankfully I had some replacement wheels kicking around ready to fit. As mentioned above, the old SXi wheels from my Corsa (replaced with the BBS 473 wheels) were in Shaun's store room. They were looking a touch unloved after a good 6 months in storage...

So, I grabbed a bucket, a brush and some alloy wheel cleaner and gave them a very low-effort clean to remove the worst of the dirt and brake dust. I then used my new mini rotary polishing machine to give them a quick polish up with some Meguiar's to remove some of the marks that have built up over the last five years. I wouldn't recommend machine polishing without a good decontamination beforehand, but I was literally going for a "spend 20 minutes, looks good from a few feet away" kind of finish. I was happy with the result either way.

As for tyres, I kept the tyres that came on the BBS 473 wheels because the tread was still decent, if not perfect. I fitted them and balanced the wheels using Shaun's equipment (without help for a change), and got them swapped over. So, here's the before and after!

As you can see the new wheels look much less oversized. It currently looks lower at the back because there's a pile of spare parts in there at the moment. Either way, the car looks miles better. With the Astra wheels off, I'll hopefully be able to sell them on for a decent amount to cancel out some of the initial purchase price of the car.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have had 195/55/16s on my Combo and thought they looked good (a brief rubbing sound if pressing on over hummocks hillocks and buttocks) and the speedo reading actually agreed better with the satnav. With your Corsa, I agree the SXi 15s look a lot better (never thought I'd say that about the SXi alloy) because those others are just too dominating on the eyeballs.

Out of interest, do you find your standing start acceleration is now sharper? I did when I went to 195/45/16s

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Afraid I couldn't tell you about the acceleration as it's being kept at Shaun's SORN'd. I would assume it'll be quicker simply because smaller wheels effectively shortens the gear ratios.

421 - 440 of 458 Posts