Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 03 sxi 1.2, 136000miles on the 1.2. Want to get a second hand engine to recin then drop it in when rebuilt.

I ve been told the immobiliser works through the clocks, but will the 14 run on the 12s ecu and loom etc as i dint see any engines being sold with clocks to match?

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Do you have Opcom, stevemas? I know others like z22se will chime in but I know that the 1.2 ecu, clocks etc is the go-to for beefy engine conversions so I assume (but I am famous for assuming wrongly) that the same would go for the 1.4

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The z12xe and z14xe are from 2 different family of engines, the z12xe has a timing chain where as the z14xe has a timing belt, the electronics on the 2 engines are quite far apart so you would need the full engine loom, bay loom and immobilizer/clock/ecu set to swap it in to a z12xe chassis.
If you are in the UK your insurance will also charge you more for this swap, so you are best off buying a z14xe Corsa C in the first place or a z18xe if its more power you are looking for? The cost of reconditioning an engine is high now and finding a decent car would be less than the cost of a full rebuild with Corsa C's prices at rock bottom for standard 1.2/1.4's around the £500-1000 mark. By the time you have got new rings, bearings, bolts, gasket sets, water pump, oil pump, cam followers, lifters, timing set (belt or chain) fluids, filters etc you will be in for over £500 without any machining.

The z12xe ecu is the same as the z20let ecu just with different software which is what @ozsubrosa is probably thinking of?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, now this the sort of information i was hoping for thankyou very much.

Let me give a little background.

The car in question was my sons, he died last year just 19 years old. I m a hgv mechanic an in my youth i was a bit of a boy racer and liked my modded cars altho mainly sound systems and back box's as i wasnt earning much in them days. Well my lad was at college training as mechanic and this was his first car and we ve spent a lot of time together fitting a substantial sound system and decatted it with a full system and manifold and a few styling mods. We talked about engine swaps and what he d like to do to it but couldnt as insurance would have laughed at him. Well i want to see his ambition through, and back in the day i seen corsas with 2.0 calibra turbos in and such like but i dont neccesarily want that extreme.

Just getting another car is not an option, unless its to have a complete donor. Cost although has to be managed over time is not the over bearing factor, and as for the engineering/machining side of things i have many contacts and companies we use through work who will look after me on that.

I m just trying to gather a bit of product knowledge to work out
the best options.

Thanks for your info,

Steve

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Sorry to hear about your son. I see why you would want to keep the same car now.
The Z20LET is probably the most common swap for the Corsa C and one of the simplest to do, easier as you already have the ECU set. All the other parts you need will be off the shelf parts either new or from cars being broke for parts.

I built my first z22se Corsa C over a few weekends and nights 24 hours work in total. Then added the supercharger kit. I made a full fitting guide on the Z22SE.co.uk forum with all the part numbers.

The Saab B204 is another common used swap into the Corsa C.

Good luck with the engine swap, I would recommend going bigger than any factory fitted engine though just for the grin factor. I'm sure your son would have approved that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts