Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloo,

For years now iv been working on other peoples cars, both general servicing/maintenence and modifications. Iv only ever had one or two cars that iv worked on substantially of my own. For instance iv pefromed a full rebuild on 7 engines to date, and never driven one of them! I decided its time i make my own project, starting from a good base, a ground up full rebuild. Shell, engine, bodywork, everything i can do my self i will and it has to be original and stand out from the rest.

My base is a 53 plate 1.2 sxi in ss3. only has 42K on the clock, no rust, no bodywork problems i know of, everything is in 100% order and wokring as it should.......So i decided to rip it apart! well, gently dismantle.

First thing was to remove the old 1.2 lump. Only coeverd 42K recent major service....shame really.

with that out i could give the bay a decent clean with the steam jet and give all the seams/pipes a good looking at

next was to remove all the arch linings and the front bumper/crash assembly

Checked the arches, all looks well! all be it a bit dirty

Then the minor modifcations started.
First point of interest was the subframe. Iv always wondered why GM never welded all the way round the suspension mounting points where they meet the subframe. I guess they only weld at the highest stressed points to save money. also where the front monting lugs are attatched to the frame we are left with a large gap as such

lower arm mounts

So...in a potentially pointless persuit of torsional stiffness (whih i will carry into other aspects of the chassis you will see later) i prepped and welded every seam that was not welded all the way round

and for the gap in the front lug....idally i would plate the gap and weld it in....but two reasons for not doing so.....i didnt have any plate to hand at the time and i couldnt be bothered to go get some lol, so i used a larger wire and mig'd the gap...like i say, may not affect much at all, but you never know

not the best as its quite difficult to get 1mm wire to bridge a 6mm gap lol. but done nevertheless.

Did that for every seam on the frame, one reel of wire, two gas bottles and 3 hours later its ready to be prepped for paint

primed

now, before i post this next one....the choice of colour, is a bit....extravogent, mainly because i had loads of yellow enamel left over from messing with a punto sport a few months back. so i thought why not. enamel is very touch, scratch and petrol resistant paint. so got started.

first side done and drying.

meanwhile, why all this was going on, i pulled one of my z18xe's out of storage, stripped it and sent it off to the machine shop for decking and cylinder/main bearing bore checks/honing. Got that back, pulled out the old core plugs and gave it some treatment with the old gloss black engine enamel.

needs another coat but its on its way.

had som time spare so deided to flush off my slam panel, so i stripped it back, removed the bonnet mechanism, noted all the holes that werent needed and welded a small plate on the under side

used an initial coat of fibreglass filler t fill the large intentations and holes, will sand back, skim and paint at a later date

Also had a little visitor, hes not allowed in the workshop so sits at the step and watches :)

Thats how it stands at the moment after 2 days work. full coverage of engine/body rebuild including a full roll cage and new fuel system will be coming soon.

Initial full vehicle spec, is only rough but is in my head at the moment, will post later on.

cheers for looking

Iain

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rough future spec as i can pull out of my head:

Body

-shell, 53 plate 1.2 sxi corsa c
-colour coded plastics
-adjusted front bumper with irmscher grille
-Semi-smoothed tailgate
-SRi mirrors
-Anthracite roof

Engine, gearbox and fuel system

-z18xe
-f17 close ratio gearbox (for now)
-Full rebuild using motorsport bearings
-Crank polish and balance
-Forged H-beam conrods with ARP bolts and motorsport bearings
-New standard z18xe moly skirted pistons
-Block enamelled with new core plugs
-Standard head and camshafts
-Standard z18xe inlet manifold ports matched to head
-Custom decompression plate to lower compression from 10.5:1 to 8.8:1
-Z20let throttle body
-Custom tubular steel exhaust manifold
-28 size turbo with internal wastegate (seems big i know) unsure on what exact turbo as of yet but will order one shortly
-z18xe sump and rebuilt oil pump
-standard flywheel and performance clutch
-full fuel system re-made and re-routed using an-6 ptfe stainless steel braided hose, sytek in line fuel filter with moquip anodised fittings
-fuel pressure regulator removed from tank and re-positioned
-Large intercooler with 2 or 2.5" hard boost pipes. One piece engine and turbo intake pipes will be fabricated by myself

-custom wiring, sensor array and management mapping will be done by myself
-exhaust will be 2.5" stainless steel turbo back with offset oval sniper sytle backbox. Fabricated by myself

Suspension and brakes

-full coilover suspension setup
-fully poly bushed
-22mm front anti roll bar and H&R rear anti roll bar
-alfa romeo radial mount brembo 4 pot brakes with custom adapters to fit corsa hubs 308mm discs
-all flexible brake piping braided
-Rear disc brakes
-unsure what my thoughts are regarding rear suspension setup at this moment in time, may be doing something drastic not sure yet

Interior

-Full weld-in roll cage
-fully stripped and painted interior
-flocked dash
-stereo system removed
-Custom gauge cluster
-Bride bucket seats and Takata harnesses

probably missed loads but like i say its just in my head at the moment

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Plans sound really good mate, will have to come and see it once it's done :)

Also will those brakes fit under my wheels as they could be another option for me.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking good Ian, be nice to see a different turbo kit for the z18, iv just finished buying all my bits for my gt28 build, will commence fitting it all pretty soon hopefully :)
Cheers mate. The main difference is the management and wiring side. As i find a fundamental flaw in the normal z18xe-t setup as it has no way of measuring boost pressure. I think i told Warren what im doing for management...if it works lol. Yeah im keeping a close eye on your thread to see how it goes.

Looking good mate, however you say original and my slam panel has had that treatment lol ;)
cheers Gazz, aye, i remembered once id welded all the plates on the back haha. No originality credit for me there like. May pssibly have the same turbo as you too but not 100% yet lol......will oonly have an internal wastegate though :p .... plus i think youll be envious of my track slaaag cage if i get the one im after! haha

Plans sound really good mate, will have to come and see it once it's done :)

Also will those brakes fit under my wheels as they could be another option for me.
Cheers mate. Yeah it will be here for a while so whenever your round you cn have a look. Yes they are designed to fit the same as normal 308's. just work better.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Cheers mate. Yeah it will be here for a while so whenever your round you cn have a look. Yes they are designed to fit the same as normal 308's. just work better.
With the way my luck is going the next time I'm up will probably be to reseal my sump again lol if you're lowering the compression and using a big gt28 will it not have massive amounts of lag?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the way my luck is going the next time I'm up will probably be to reseal my sump again lol if you're lowering the compression and using a big gt28 will it not have massive amounts of lag?
no shouldnt. it will be about 8.9:1 wich is slightly higher than a zlet. shouldnt be too bad. plus, its got bigger injectors and other work so it should be okay. a 28 turbo with a small housing should yeild decent spool up times.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ah ok, my knowledge is very small on this. Just thought
small displacement + big turbo = lots of lag

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see how you get on :)

·
Premium Member
29,540 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah ok, my knowledge is very small on this. Just thought
small displacement + big turbo = lots of lag

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see how you get on :)
generally yeah. a gt28 isnt massive for the engine size id say. but it is big. they normally run a 25 on 18-t's in most cases so its not much.

still at it then mate ;)

will be watching :)
course i am :)

I could do with a decompression plate
I may be buying a couple depending on what the engineering company says. If you want one let me know. It will be lowered to just over zlet compression. about 8.9.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts